How to connect with more of your ideal clients
There are 2 things you’ll need to work on: Content & Distribution
First of all, there’s the word-of-mouth marketing that happens naturally, as you deliver excellent product/services to your existing clients, or as you stay in touch with friends/colleagues and they find out what you do.
Genuine word-of-mouth is effortless marketing, but that also means it’s hard for you to do anything to increase it — your network can see you as being too pushy and start to avoid you. Word-of-mouth is a delicate thing. Better to let it happen authentically, without trying to “make” it happen.
What can you do instead? Two things:
Content Relevancy: You need to communicate ideas that educate people about your expertise/business, and that are interesting enough for your ideal clients to want to learn more from you.
Content Distribution: You need to get those messages in front of enough of the right people.
If your audience isn’t growing, it’s almost certainly because of one or both of these.
If you’ve read my articles you know that I talk about this all the time. I even wrote a book: Authentic Content Marketing.
Whether you do Facebook posts, or your Youtube videos, or Email newsletters, or Podcasts, etc., if your ideal audience isn’t responding to however you communicate your expertise, then this is the uncomfortable truth:
What you’re saying is not interesting enough to your ideal audience.
- What does my ideal client care about, within the realm of my expertise?
- What problems are on their mind, that my business helps to solve?
- What wish, desire, or goal are they working on, that my business helps them with?
- What related example or story can I share, that will give them hope… a vision that it’s possible to change?
Is your content addressing the above? Or is your content mostly about your own life or ideas, without addressing what your ideal client cares about?
If your content is truly aligned with your clients’ cares, but you’re getting not enough response, then there are 3 possibilities:
- Do you need to change how you communicate? Perhaps you’ll need to try blogging instead of making videos? Or try videos instead of podcasting?
- If you’ve tried different media, and settled on the way you want to communicate, then you’ll need to work on becoming a better communicator. Whether it’s being a better writer, video maker, or better speaker on your podcast, it makes a huge difference when you know how to keep your audience’s attention. How to learn this? Create more content. Quantity eventually creates Quality. To go faster, hire a coach. One of my clients loves helping others improve this important skillset: check out Margaret Rode’s personal bite-sized coaching sessions.
- Lastly, if you’re not getting enough response, you have a problem of Distribution. This is something that we can all get better at.
It is almost certainly true that your content is not being seen by enough of the right people. Otherwise you would have enough clients, and a waiting list!
Work on getting your relevant content in front of more of the right people. Here are 2 very doable ways:
- Facebook Advertising: this is my favorite method of content distribution. For just $30/month you can have your content shown to approx. 1,000 people who are more likely (than the average person) to be interested in your content. I personally spend a lot more than $30/month on Facebook Ads, but feel free to just start with $30/month, then grow if you’d like. To learn Facebook Ads for free, there are many facebook ads tutorials on Youtube. The problem with Youtube tutorials is that you might disagree with the values behind some of the teaching, or they might be teaching ineffective strategies. If you prefer to learn from me, take my Facebook Ads Online Course.
- Cross Promotion: As you discover fellow content creators that you like, who have a similar audience to you, consider trading content promotions. No matter how small that person’s audience is, you’ll certainly grow your viewership, even by a little, by trading the promotion of each other’s best piece of content.
There are other proven ways of content distribution, such as guest blogging and authentic SEO. But my favorite recommendations are the two above.
Keep working on these 2 strategies — Relevance and Distribution, and you’ll certainly grow your ideal audience and connect with more of your ideal clients.
I look forward to hearing your success story!